Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Don't Want To Be A Math Teacher!

Oops, long time never update this blog already. My apologies. Actually I had been quite busy with my assignments and this particular thing which was bothering me for the past week. For those who have no idea what I am talking about, we ( lotsa people who just passed STPM2007 ) got their Government Universities Entrance offer last Wednesday. All of us were excited of getting to know where we were offered. Of course, there were people who laughed and sobbed. To those who managed to get a good course (to you), Congratulation. To those who did not get offered, your fate will be determined next before 31st July, don't worry. To those who got some lousy course (to you and me), my sympathy. 

Actually, this good or not good thing was very subjective. You might think that this course is good, he might not think so. Simply because of interest and the job prospect and your capability of doing that subject. So in this case, those who considered themselves being offered some bad courses, too bad! No appeal! You have to stick with it or you go to private university. So I actually consider the happiest person would be those who did not get any offer but finally gets it. They will be over the moon by then. Yay! Ok. So what was I being bothered of? This is the thing, I just told you who are the happiest people. Now the saddest group will be those who fell into the group which they got some stupid courses. Again, this was just a personal view. Let me bring you back to one week ago. When the result had been just released.

>>--------WOOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH------------------------------>

Sepilok : Yao meh? Bu yao la, teng xia na dao bu hao de ze me ban?
  (Really want? Don't la, later don't get good offer how?)
Jay : Bu yao jin la. Qu kan kan ma. Wo ye yao kan.
  (Never mind la. Go and see, I also want to see.)
Sepilok : Ok lo. Jen, se me link? ni check le mei you?
  (OK la. Jen, what is the link? You check already?)
Jen : Hmm, bu guo bu neng log in. Ta men shuo 12 dian, but wo de peng you zuo wan yi jin zi dao liao?
  (Yeah, but cannot login. They say 12pm, but my friends already got the result last night.
Jay : Zen de ma? Wo yao qu check liao, wo yao qu Perlis.
  (Really? I want to go and check now, I want to get Perlis.)

So the three of us went to the computer lab and start checking.

Jay : Wei se me bu neng log in de?
  (Why I couldn't log in?)
Sepilok : Wo ye bu neng. hai si sms la.
  (I also couldn't. We sms better la.)
Jay : Ai meh? gor puat lo!
  ( Want ar? 50 cent you know?) 
Sepilok : mian guan aneh cheh liao la! sms liao kah kong.
  (Don't care already! SMS first.)

So we sent our ic and waited for the reply. Jay's came first and mine came later.

Jay : hami? pemohonan anda tidak berjaya? tiok mm tiok?
  (What? My application failed? Correct or not?)
Sepilok : Mai luan. wa eh kah keat. Permohonan anda tidak ada dalam sistem.
  (Don't fuss yet. Mine better. My application not in the system.)
Jay : lu wu pang hyphen in lu eh ic boh? beh sai pang hyphen eh.
  (Did you put hyphen in when u key in your ic? You are not suppose to do so.)
  (Point to note. Malaysian IC or MyKad has got hyphen between numbers.)
Sepilok : Si meh? Ok, ok, koh lai ci tau.
  (Really? Ok, ok, again.)

So I sent the second message. The thing came back and make me feel really happy!

Taniah! Anda telah berjaya mendapat tawaran daripada UKM dan kursus yang ditawar ialah KS08. Sila hubungi xx-xxxx xxxx untuk maklumat lanjut.

WEEEEEEE!!!!! UKM LO!

oops, forget to translate. Congratulations! You have successfully got an offer from UKM and the course is KS08. Please call xx-xxxx xxx for further information.

Wah?! I got UKM? Suppose to be the top university in Malaysia now. I got it! What the hell man. So I told myself I can't be so lucky. So I looked at the course. What the hell is KS08? What could that be? Could it be my first choice? Actuarial Science? If so I will be in the history of entering this course not with CGPA 4.0. So they were all around me congratulating me for my offer. They ask me whether I will accept the offer or stay in UTAR. I told them I will probably accept it if it's  Actuarial Science. They say no need to think la. Sure is Actuarial Science! So I actually got carried away a little bit. Thinking how nice if it's Actuarial Science. Or could it be Mechanical Engineering. Immediately I sms my friends asking what do they get. To my surprise. They got USM, UTEM, UMS and UniMAS. I thought what the hell. What about their courses? Mechenical engineering. So that's not bad. Kejuruteraan Pembuatan? Ekonomi Industri? Chemistry? What the =>_<=?! I got lousier result and got offered better? How could that be?

So I quickly log into UKM website but too bad it's been clogged up, so I have to suppress my anxiety till after lecture. The feeling of wanting to know what is KS08 kept me restless the whole lecture. Damn. The feeling was like, you won't understand and I don't know how to explain. So finally the two hours of torturing is finally over. Me and my friends again went to the computer lab. Some want to find out theirs and Jay wanted to appeal. Me? OF COURSE IS FIND OUT WHAT THE FUCK IS KS08! So I log into the site again. This time siok d. Can log in! So I quickly browse through the whole list of University codes and find KS08. Finally! Found it. I thought my eyes are playing tricks on me. Maths? I see again. Actuarial Science. No no no. It's MATH. The bloody code sheet was so small that I had to look a few times before confirming I got MATH! I was like TIU. Math nia la. At that moment I told myself, should I go to the top university or should I stay here and finish of with actuarial science?

I was so nervous and I called my mom. Well after talking to her, I actually had a feeling that I was some how experiencing the same luck as her. She had to study in PJ, she was a major in math, and many thing. Now only I understand the secrets between a mother and a son. Cut the crap. She only tell me one thing. Math, what job can you get? Do you want to end up like me? Then I took that into consideration. Later that day, I posted a question to a forum. All I get was quite stupid. "It depends on you, what you like." Harlo! If I know then I wouldn't be asking la! I need suggestion! Not you telling me to follow what I like. So I was still undecided until last Friday. Somebody finally said something that made sense. "

" Do you want to be a Math Teacher or an Actuary? I think Actuary has a better prospect. Stay in UTAR" -xxx-

I'll keep him anonymous. However, I seriously thank him for helping me to make up my mind. His words are just as wise as Socrates'. He enlightened me! I went on searching what can I do with a Math degree. My result? Teacher, Lecturer, Researcher or Mathematician. TUT... I can be all that except Mathematician with my Actuarial Science degree. So that helped me to make up my mind already. I DO NOT WANT TO BE A MATHEMATICS TEACHER! I will stay in UTAR to complete my course. I had chosen this. I will not turn against my decision. I will not regret. 

Finally, congratulation to those who got awesome courses again. While those who got into the same situation as me, bless you. Seriously, get into something which you really like and really have a good future. Last but not least, my sympathy to those who did not get offered. They say every road leads to Rome. I forgot which language was it from already. So be strong and face the real world now my friends. University life is really nothing like those time we had in school and especially Smart X Idiot era.

-- sign off--
v(^v^)v 

No comments: