Saturday, February 28, 2009

English or WHAT?

For those who are still living in the cave, this issue had been going on for like years already. They still couldn't come to a compromise or I should say they still couldn't accept that Math and Science should be taught in ENGLISH!!! Few days back, I read an article from the newspaper saying that teachers gone crazy teaching Math and Science in English. I was like... HMLC?

First of all, why am I saying Math and Science should be taught in English? Simple! English is an INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE (or at least internationally recognise as international language). People are trying to learn it like mad so that they can communicate with the other people from other country. English is a common medium in meetings and conferences. However, we still fail to acknowledge this point. I wonder why they still think that Malay is so important that they must do everything in Malay. Seriously, it is not that I disgrace Malay or what. I mean we have to look at the correct thing what. We Malaysian still respect Malay as our National Language. However we can not expect other people from other country to learn our language so that they can trade with us. Honestly, we are not a "so" developed country that the world will stop without trading with us. There are cheaper labour than us. There are better quality materials from other country. This is undeniable! However we still fail to see this. WE CAN NOT FORCE OHTER PEOPLE OF OTHER COUNTRY TO BE LOYAL TO OUR COUNTRY! WE CAN NOT INSTILL PATRIOTISM IN THEM!!! They are loyal to their own country. Just like your are loyal to your spouse and you don't want anyone to be loyal to yours! 

Look at China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Their people are trying hard to take up English although they find it hard to learn. This is because, they realise that with good command of English they will be able to go far in whatever field they are doing. We are not a strong country yet. I am not saying we will not be strong but we are just not as strong as US and Europe YET! They are the one making the big decision, we are still depending on them on a lot of things. Why should they compromise with us? We have to compromise with them so that they will continue to trade with us. By depending on ASEAN only we will not progress. Look at Singapore, they have adopted English as their first language but still they try hard to make sure their people still learn up their mother tongue. Today, Singapore is why beyond us. Such as small country without natural resources yet they are progressing in godspeed. 

I mean English is getting more and more important. Few weeks back, when I was attending a lecture, the lecturer was late so we were chatting and suddenly the Chief of Department of Students' Affair came in and start shouting at us. 
" YOU PEOPLE MUST START CONVERSING IN ENGLISH! PEOPLE OUT THERE ARE CONDEMNING UTAR STUDENTS ARE SMART BUT THEY SUCK IN ENGLISH! THEY CAN'T UNDERSTAND SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS! HOW TO HIRE THEM?? "
No hard feelings to those who are poor in english. I know you people are trying. However I don't mean that she's right shouting at us cause we have our right to use whatever language we like when we are chatting. Nevertheless, we should improve in our English. It's true that if we can't understand simple instruction, who is going to hire us. No matter how precious or how glorious how much we can earn as an Actuary, if we can't understand simple instruction then who cares who you are? Your cert is like piece of paper which you might consider using it as toilet paper. 

Of course I am not showing off or what, I am proud when my friends look up at me when I am able to converse in good english. I am proud that my interviewer praised me during the interview. As you can see, being able to converse in good (not to say perfect) english, we have a privillage. HOW? We can negotiate better and we can present ourselves better especially towards our superior. Honestly, in order to have this good command of english, I spent 7 years in "torture chamber". I exchanged today's success with my tears. I went from speaking full of broken english to commanding respectful english. Of course, during those 7 years, I told myself, you bloody bitch I will remember you for life for torturing me like this. Of course I kept my promise that I still remember her but not as a bitch now. She is the one who drill me into speaking good english, not flawless though. She is the one who made me able to write the english I am writing now. *there are mistakes of course*. She is also the one who enable me to watch english movies without reading the subtitles. ( I know many people can't do that. My mom can't too. ^^) 

However today, I am still able to converse in Malay, Mandarin and some dialects. It doesn't mean that the day I started speaking english will be the day I start to forget about my root. I am a Malaysian, I speak Malay. I am a Chinese, I will speak Mandarin and my own dialect. That's why when I am in school or in university, I speak in Hokkien with my fellow Penangites. I converse in Mandarin with the rest. I speak in english when I am speaking with the authorities and my lecturers and those who don't understand Mandarin of course. I uses Malay with the malays I meet outside cause there aren't many malays in my campus.

Conclusion? LEARN UP YOUR ENGLISH FOR YOUR OWN FUTURE! Today, we still have to converse in English. Wait till the day when people have to look to Malaysia and seek help from Malaysia as they did to US, then we can forget bout English for this is the time they have to learn our language. 

ps. those noob shit who went nuts teaching math and science are just pure noob shits who don't even qualified to be in the teaching profession! The problem of teaching math and science in english doesn't lie on the student for we can suit ourselves. The problem lies with the useless bargers thinking they are so qualified that they can't teach in english. 

No comments: