Thursday, July 17, 2008

Wonders of Numbers - Part I

Harlo! After so long, let you know more about myself if you haven't. 

1. My mom is a Form 6 Math teacher.
2. I got offered a place in UKM for Math but I chose to be in UTAR for Actuarial Science.
3. I never get anything less than B for Math.
4. I enjoy the thrill when I managed to solve a math problem.

So I think by now you are thinking why this guy is all about Math? Yeah I like numbers, not Numb3rs. I am fascinated by all the numbers and their theory and sometimes the working that you just can't prove it with the Math theory. You know, the magic of Math! You will go WOW! OOO! WHOA! *CLAPS* when you see something interesting about Math. I'll show you some MAGIC for the posts to come.

This Magic, I learnt it when I was attending a camp 2 years ago. (It involves some knowledge of alphabets and countries also.)
So you just follow the steps k?

1.  Think of a number between 1 - 9.
2. Multiply the number by 9.
3. You will get a 2-digit number. Add both the number and result it to 1-digit number. (eg. 88 -> 8+8 = 16 -> 1+6 = 7)
4. Subtract the 1-digit number you get by 5.
5. So let's change the number you just got to alphabets. 
1 --> A
2 --> B
3 --> C
4 --> D
5 --> E
--> F
7 --> G
8 --> H
9 --> I
6. So you get your alphabet already?
7. Now, think of a country starting with that alphabet.
8. Got it? Ok, now go back to the alphabet you got just now. You will think of an animal starting with the alphabet after your alphabet. (eg. if you get K, the next alphabet is L)
9. OK? So now, put the animal into the country you are thinking. (eg. ELEPHANT in DENMARK - 99% of you matches my example.)
10. Applaud please.

Hehehe. How do I know? Ok, unless you are really familiar with countries with D and animal other than E, you will be thinking Elephant in Denmark. There's an alternative to the country though. Dominican Republic. As for the animal, I am yet to discover something with E. If you have any idea, post it in the comments. 

So you want to know the magic? Yeah I bet you want to. Now you have to promise me 1 thing. Take this unbreakable vow!

I, (your name), solemnly swear to spread this piece of great shit around and trick my friends into loving MATH!

*This is not a chain mail. Nothing bad will happen to you if you don't forward it withing 99seconds. You will not get kisses from the person you admire secretly if you forward this within 3 seconds.

Alright! Secrets reveal. 

It is a known fact to many mathematician, especially those who are good in mental arithmetic. The trick starts when I ask you to multiply your number with 9. It is proven that if you multiply a number with 9, the sum of all the digits from your product will eventually become 9 when u add it until it become a 1-digit number.

eg1. 8960986 x 9 = 801548874
8+0+1+5+4+8+8+7+4 = 45
4+5 = 9
eg2. 7649512 x 9 = 68845608
6+8+8+4+5+6+0+8 = 45
4+5 = 9
eg3. 56772851 x 9 =510955659
5+1+0+9+5+5+6+5+9 = 45
4+5 = 9

By these 3 example, you can see that I randomly pick any number and multiply it by 9. When I sum all the digits in the product up, I will get a 9 in the end. With this, I am already MANIPULATING your mind. I make you subtract 5 from 9, which will result in 4. You will get D. with limited countries starting with the alphabet D, you will choose a better known country - Denmark. I make you think of an animal starting with the alphabet next to D, which is E, you will think of the easiest and largest animal on land - ELEPHANT.

That's how I know what you are thinking. Elephant in Denmark. MUAHAHAHAHA.

Isn't numbers just fun? Math is even better. Like my mom always says :
"Math is like a piece of music, the numbers are the notes on the grid, the way you put the numbers together and solve a problem is like putting all the notes together and play the music. When you hit the right note, you produce a piece of beautiful music."
As well as what my Professor says:
"Math is an ART. It is for those who really see the value in it to see the beauty in it. I don't know what Picasso or Leonardo da Vinci is drawing so I don't see the beauty in it. I don't think most of you know what Math is really all about, so you don't see the beauty in it."

Math, unknowns and numbers always come together. Enjoy numbers and you will enjoy math. Again, I want to stress that numbers is not the series NUMB3RS. This is totally different from what I am telling you now.
 

No comments: